What else can I find on this blog?

Dear Readers,

Louisiana Genealogy Blogs - Help create links to other genealogy blogs in Louisiana! If you have a Louisiana genealogy blog, please send me a link. You can find links to other genealogy blogs from a variety of sources below this blog. There are links to news stories about genealogy in Louisiana (when that Google thing works - tx Google!) and genealogy tags from Word Press, Louisiana posts from Cousin Connect, and posts from the genealogy community at Live Journal. You may also find other networking websites linking here interested in genealogy and a whole slew of other genealogy blogs. Most of the Louisiana Parishes RootsWeb mailing lists are found linked to the left. I have found these to be the most helpful. Maybe, you will, too.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. Feel free to post to the forum or the Louisiana Surname - Louisiana Researchers list and if you're feeling rather adventurous, you can join the Yahoo!Group, too. I try to update the surname list on a monthly basis. You can read the entire four and one half pages of the Louisiana Surnames Louisiana Researchers list here. And if that is giving you trouble (it does sometimes), go here.

I would like to encourage other Louisiana genealogy bloggers to copy the profile I created from Blogger. It assists others in finding you in every parish in Louisiana! There are useful social tools like Add This at the bottom of the blog.

Thanks for stopping by!



Louisiana Genealogy Blogs
louisianagenealogy@yahoo.com

P.S. You can visit my Louisiana Lagniappe too and find more Louisiana pages on Facebook by clicking on the tabs.

Friday, August 22, 2008

Genealogy Networking in Louisiana

From the LAORLEAN mailing list a group of listers are planning to attend the New Orleans Library on Loyola Avenue on September 27, 2008 at 10:00 AM. You can read the thread here:
"And if anyone else on the list whose name we don't have would like to join us, please do. It'll be great meeting those we know only by their messages. See you on the 27th. Jan & Peggy"
It was suggested to review materials available at the library prior to attending. "Guide to Genealogical Materials" at http://www.nutrias.org/~nopl/guides/genguide/gguide4.htm.

The NOPL also has a My Space profile.

In my alerts today an article on Roots Television about Linwood Plantation. "Bernadine Anderson, a descendant of Linwood slaves, works to preserve the Linwood Plantation in Louisiana."

Also in my genealogy alerts was the blog post, "When You Think You're German, But You Aren't", from the Family Tree Magazine Blog - Now What? Expert answers to your genealogy questions. Diane discusses John Hondlenk in the 1860 Louisiana mortality schedule. If anyone has a Hondlenk in their genealogy, Diane asks for you to speak up!

There are a number of social networking genealogy sites that I belong to. Keeping up with the various sites can be a daunting task using my prehistoric computer. Oftentimes, My Space will not allow me to log in. Their website indicates that I have had way to many attempts after the FIRST and ONLY attempt to log in and will lock me out for 15 minutes at a time. I have sites, groups, and profiles on Genebase, Friendster, Facebook, Ancestoral Spaces, Our Story, My Heritage, GeneaNet, Family Tree Circles, Twitter, Live Journal, and Mashable.com. So far Mashable has been the only one to preview my feeds and create a widget that displays a few of my other social networking memberships. Facebook has been the most efficient, but StumbleUpon has allowed me to make a few friends, too. None of these social networking tools has out performed the Yahoo Group, Louisiana Genealogy Blog with its 50 or so members. So thanks a bunch for participating in Louisiana Genealogy Blog's Yahoo Group!

No comments:

Group Message Board

Visit more Louisiana on Facebook

Genealogisphere

Groups, Hoops and Engines: Blog Tech

Searching for our Ancestors

AddThis Social Bookmark Button