What else can I find on this blog?

Dear Readers,

Louisiana Genealogy Blogs - Help create links to other genealogy blogs in Louisiana! If you have a Louisiana genealogy blog, please send me a link. You can find links to other genealogy blogs from a variety of sources below this blog. There are links to news stories about genealogy in Louisiana (when that Google thing works - tx Google!) and genealogy tags from Word Press, Louisiana posts from Cousin Connect, and posts from the genealogy community at Live Journal. You may also find other networking websites linking here interested in genealogy and a whole slew of other genealogy blogs. Most of the Louisiana Parishes RootsWeb mailing lists are found linked to the left. I have found these to be the most helpful. Maybe, you will, too.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance to you. Feel free to post to the forum or the Louisiana Surname - Louisiana Researchers list and if you're feeling rather adventurous, you can join the Yahoo!Group, too. I try to update the surname list on a monthly basis. You can read the entire four and one half pages of the Louisiana Surnames Louisiana Researchers list here. And if that is giving you trouble (it does sometimes), go here.

I would like to encourage other Louisiana genealogy bloggers to copy the profile I created from Blogger. It assists others in finding you in every parish in Louisiana! There are useful social tools like Add This at the bottom of the blog.

Thanks for stopping by!



Louisiana Genealogy Blogs
louisianagenealogy@yahoo.com

P.S. You can visit my Louisiana Lagniappe too and find more Louisiana pages on Facebook by clicking on the tabs.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Chatah-Ima - Like a Chocktaw - Louisiana's bard



1813-1887
Adrien Emmanuel Rouquette, an ecclesiastic of the Roman Catholic Church, was of European and American parentage; his father, Dominique Rouquette, was French, and his mother, Louise Cousin, was a native of Louisiana. He was born in New Orleans, and received his education in France, at the Royal College of Nantes; studied for the bar but relinquished it for the Church, becoming affiliated with the Catholic seminary at New Orleans. He was known for writing poetry and prose in French and English. He was a missionary who worked among the Choctaw Indians, who gave him the name Chahta-Ima. Obituary in the Times-Democrat, July 16, 1887.
- Tulane Special Collections.

He attended Translyvania University, in Lexington, Kentucky at 10 years old around 1824. His father having died when he was at the tender age of five. Other Louisiana politicians, like Soloman W. Downs, also attended Translyvania University. Downs graduated in 1823, a year prior to Rouquette's entrance.



From 1844 to 1859 Rouquette was assigned to St. Louis Cathedral. After fourteen years in New Orleans, he become a missionary to the Chocktaw on Bayou Lacombe. Some websites indicate that this was a sudden change.

The following excerpt was taken from a Word Doc of the title Wild Flowers, available from the Centenary College of Louisiana. 

THE WILD MUSE TO HER GRACEFUL SISTERS,
THE SACRED NINE

O beata solitude,
O sola beatitudo!
(C. MUSIUS.)

My graceful sisters, list to me;
I come to crave for sympathy;
No flow’ry wreaths I ask of ye;

I ask no laurels ever-green;
Ambitious never have I been:
A smile is all I hope to win!

Ye know me well, ye sisters mild:
Of pensive mood, and strangely wild;
As bashful as an Indian child,

I turn away from crowds with fright;
I dread all public praise or light;
In solitude I most delight….

My graceful sisters, list to me;
A smile is all I ask of ye:
Grant but that smile, and blest I’ll be!

Bayou-Lacombe, May 28, 1848

Wild Flowers
SACRED POETRY


by


THE ABBÉ ADRIAN ROUQUETTE,

See also Creole City LSU - " In Old Creole Days and The Grandissimes, Cable portrays decadent characters in a romanticized New Orleans setting and hints at the racial impurity of the white Creole population of the city. This last point inspired a furious backlash from several prominent Creoles, the most stinging of which is Adrien Rouquette’s A Critical Dialogue Between Aboo and Caboo on a New Book, or A Grandissime AscensionRouquette’s satirical critique of The Grandissimes, written as an overheard dialogue between two ghosts on the shore of Lake Ponchartrain, mocks Cable’s attempt to imitate the various accents of New Orleans in his dialogue and takes issue with the fact that Cable’s works “were given as novels and taken for history.”





Rouquette's mysterious burial

No comments:

Group Message Board

Visit more Louisiana on Facebook

Genealogisphere

Groups, Hoops and Engines: Blog Tech

Searching for our Ancestors

AddThis Social Bookmark Button